Sunday, October 28, 2007

Baseball Memories - Go Rockies!

(Picture taken at Minute Main Stadium in Houston, TX, while the Padres were playing the Astros.)
It's 10:30pm and the Rockies are trailing the Red Sox with a score of 3-0. Alan isn't in the best of moods understandably right now and I feel bad for him and his team. Normally I'm not a big sports fan, but baseball is different. It's simple and easy to understand and I like it. I don't necessarily enjoy it throughout the season, but the World Series is different. It's like a little part of American history that is actually interesting. Not like political history where I'm bored to death. But it's strong guys in tight pants with 5 o'clock shadows. Sexy history :-)
I went to my first major league baseball game in July of this year on our trip out to Houston, TX to see Dave and Heather. Cheering for the Astros was a fun time and I got to see Greg Maddux pitch for the Padres which was really cool. I remember watching him years ago playing for the Braves so it was reminiscent to see him in person. The Braves in the South is like a religion. There really aren't any other professional teams here so the main sports attractions are high school and college football and the Braves. My great uncle Rayford watches every single game from his recliner and with his cable box. Sometimes he watches reruns of the games but it doesn't matter to him because it's the Braves (and he doesn't remember watching it the first time!).

Regardless of who wins tonight, I love baseball simply for the memories it arouses in me. It reminds me of playing softball as a little kid and hanging around the baseball fields with my friends. It reminds me of the Jose Conseco Oakland A's baseball card that I took naps with as a little girl. (I had a major crush on him.) It reminds me of sunflower seeds and lazy Sundays at my Granny and Papa's house. It reminds me of my great uncle watching the Braves and how anyone can relax for 3 hours with nothing on their mind but enjoying the game.

PS I really hope the Rockies win at least one for Alan because he has been one of their biggest fans since I met him even though he took a lot of crap for it from his friends!

Here is a picture of Alan and me at the Astros game this summer.

No comments: